If you are looking to build a home or improve your existing one, there are many things you will need to get started. For example, you will need to know the difference between home improvement contractors and general contractors. There are major differences between the two, and knowing these differences will help you make important decisions when it comes to your project.
The General Contractor’s Role
A general contractor will be the head of the construction project. In some cases, they may have the team they have for various projects, and for some, they may recruit all the things they need out.
A good general contractor will know where to get skilled teams to do all the various projects in the construction process. The general contractor will also make sure that all the permits are obtained for your particular project.
A general contractor will typically subcontract the work for different work areas. For example, if you need a foundation laid, the general contractor will hire the company that does the foundation. If the walls need to be done, the general contractor will do that, and if there is plumbing that needs to be installed, the contractor will hire the plumber.
The general contractor’s point will be to take all the stress and headache away from finding contractors to do the different areas of work that need to be done.
A great general contractor will ensure that they keep the vision in mind and ensure that the construction project is completed on time. If there are any delays or issues, they will work hard to address them and get the job done.
The Home Improvement Contractor’s Role
A home improvement contractor can work with all phases of your project, but they do not subcontract the work unless it is a highly specialized project.
A home improvement contractor will have their team of people that does things like floors, walls, and foundations. When you hire a home improvement contractor, they will give you a price for the build, and they will ensure that all of the necessary permits for what they are doing are getting.
Typically, home improvement contractors will focus on specific things. For example, if you need flooring and walls done, you will be able to find a home improvement contractor to do that for you. However, if you also need an HVAC contractor, you will have to find that yourself or find a general contractor that can subcontract that out for you.
Choosing the Right Contractor
It would be best to consider several things to make sure that you are hiring the right contractor for your project. These include:
- Size of your project. You will need to take into consideration the size of your project. Huge projects like a whole house build or rebuild may need a general contractor.
- What you need to be done. You will also need to consider what you need done in your home improvement Northern Virginia. For example, if you just need flooring replaced, you should hire a home improvement contractor to address these needs. If you need several different contractors like HVAC, plumbing, and foundation, it will be best to hire a general contractor to ensure that you get everything done that you need to be done.
- Timeframe. You will also want to make sure that you hire a contractor that can meet your timeframe needs. For example, if you have several different projects that need to be done, you will want to hire a company with employees who can get it done or subcontract the work to get it done quickly.
Hiring the Right Contractor
Once you have chosen whether or not you want to hire a home improvement contractor or general contractor, there will be several things you need to do to start the hiring process. You never want to hire a contractor without doing your research.
Here are a few things you should consider when hiring your contractor, no matter if it is a home improvement contractor or general contractor:
- Reviews. One of the most important things that you can do before hiring any contractor is to make sure that you read reviews about them. Reading reviews can help give you a realistic view of the contractor and their practices. It would help if you could also look at pictures of their past work to ensure their style is something that you enjoy. Do not just read only the good reviews; if there are bad reviews, read them to make an accurate decision on the contractor.
- Budget. Home improvement and new house builds can be expensive, so you will want to make sure that you have a budget in your mind that you would like to keep. Setting a budget can help prevent you from going into debt, but you will also want to keep in mind that there may be variations in the job price. Speak with several different contractors to get a price for the projects that you need to be done.
- Time. You will also want to find out the time that it will take your project to get completed. For example, if you are planning to do a kitchen remodel, you will want to know how long you can expect to be without your kitchen.
- Knowing the local permit laws and regulations. You will want to make sure that any contractor you hire is well versed in the local laws regarding construction. If you hire a contractor that does not pull the necessary permits, you may get in trouble with your local code enforcement. Penalties include fines, and you may have to have the project redone by a permitted professional.
- Ask questions. Speak to several contractors and ask them questions about your project. This will help you get an accurate feel for them and help determine whether you will work with them well.
If you are getting ready to do a home improvement project, you will want to take your time to make sure that you are hiring the right contractor for your job. Follow the tips above so that you have a great experience in your home construction process.
Whenever you feel that your home improvement plans are all set, you can contact us today for all your needs.
Give your Northern Virginia home a whole new look with a custom window replacement. Vienna, VA, locals trust Nova Exteriors to install their new windows because we draw upon decades of combined...
Show your personality before guests even step inside your home with a custom door installation. Our front doors represent portals to our private spaces. Distinguish your home by choosing a door...
Choosing the right home improvement contractor takes a bit more work than a quick search online. You can ensure that your home siding project goes smoothly, and you end up with the best result when...