When tackling home improvement, Northern Virginia homeowners frequently skip one key renovation: windows. Windows don’t have set lifespans, so understanding when to replace them is challenging.
Our group of home remodeling contractors at NOVA Exteriors in Northern Virginia, Washington, D.C., and Maryland, wants to help you learn how to diagnose window failure. If you notice any of the symptoms below, call our team to replace your windows!
1. You Struggle Opening and Closing Your Windows
You should be able to open and close your windows with ease. If your windows feel stuck and you must use force to operate them, you might need to upgrade.
During the remodel process, consider picking double-hung windows. Double-hung windows open from both ends, making it easier to clean each side of the glass without going outside.
2. Your House Feels Colder Than Usual
Your house shouldn’t feel noticeably colder near the windows. During the winter, if you notice cool drafts entering the home from your windows, it’s time for a home remodeling project. If you’re unsure, try the tests below:
- Touch test: Touch the glass with your hand. Your window shouldn’t feel much different in temperature than any other wall in your home.
- Candle test: Hold a small candle flame near the window and see if it flickers. A flickering flame indicates drafts entering your home.
- Flashlight test: Shine a flashlight against the window frame in the dark. If you notice unfiltered light leaking through the framing specs, then air gets through too.
As your windows age, they wear down from the years of sun, rain, and temperature changes. Older homes frequently have single-frame windows that can’t match the performance of newer models, even when working well.
3. The Energy Bill Keeps Going Up
If you search online for “home improvement Northern Virginia” you’ll find results about how to make your home more energy-efficient. Different renovation projects improve your house’s energy usage, reducing monthly bills and helping the environment.
If your windows let drafts in, they also allow the air out. The air conditioning or heating you pay for leaks through the window, leaving you with increased expenses and uncomfortable temperatures.
Energy bills always fluctuate throughout the year, but if you notice a consistent price climb, your windows may be the culprit. During your home improvement project, consider double-pane windows with low-emissivity glass to boost energy efficiency, seal in your air, and prevent UV rays from entering your home.
4. Outside Noises Seep Through Easily
Just as cool drafts indicate the need to call your home remodeler, increased outside noises also indicate poor window conditions. No one wants to stay up at night listening to loud traffic, airplanes overhead, barking dogs, or the neighbors’ music. Purchasing new windows improves the soundproofing of your home.
5. The Frames Let in Moisture or Leak
If you notice any moisture or water on your window frames, you should contact a contractor to replace your windows as soon as possible. When water enters your home, it damages the wooden frame, causes mold to grow, and harms other items inside the house. If it gets bad enough, one leaking window could lead to an entire bathroom remodel.
Severe window leaks also might damage your floor if the water puddles up. Many homeowners see a few water droplets around the window and assume it’s fine. Imagine what will grow if you let these droplets accumulate for months.
6. Your Windows Frequently Have Condensation
Sometimes on humid mornings, you might notice a cloudy film on your windows. Condensation buildup on the glass isn’t always a sign of damage, though if you see the moisture between two panes, you have an issue. Water shouldn’t enter double-paned windows; if it does, you should get ahead of the problem before the water damages your home.
7. The Windows Make Your House Look Outdated
You don’t have to replace your windows for stylistic reasons, but many homeowners choose to. If you want to improve your curb appeal and potentially increase your home’s value, purchase new windows to match the modern style.
8. You Have Window Damage
The easiest way to tell if you need new windows is if they’re damaged. Window damage might include:
- Small cracks
- Glass chips
- Shattered panes
- Bent frames
- Condensation and water damage
If you have a broken window, the interior of your home becomes exposed to outside elements, and the AC or heat you pay for leaks outside. You should immediately cover the exposure with a tarp and call your local contractor!
Benefits of Replacing Your Windows
Aside from fixing all of the problems above, replacing your windows offers even more benefits. When you purchase the Verde Window from NOVA Exteriors, you’ll enjoy:
- Top-notch energy efficiency with insulation as effective as a freezer door to reduce your energy bills
- Solar guard coating to help your home retain heat in the winter and stay cool in the summer
- Self-cleaning enhancements that utilize sun rays to break down dirt on the window, offering crystal clear glass without needing to lift a finger
The Window Replacement Process with NOVA Exteriors
Many homeowners feel intimidated by the renovation process, but our team makes it a breeze. Our window replacement process involves three steps:
- We create a customized estimate for your project so that you know what to expect. Quotes include costs and project timelines.
- Our team helps you pick the best materials for your home needs. We make recommendations using our combined decades of window experience.
- We craft a step-by-step plan and keep you in the loop throughout the entire process until we finish your project!
Need New Windows? Call NOVA Exteriors Today!
When it’s time for home improvement in Northern Virginia, homeowners should contact NOVA Exteriors. Our team has ample experience replacing windows, siding, roofing, and doors. We specialize in modern materials that improve your home’s value and your lifestyle throughout Alexandria, Arlington, Ashburn, Fairfax, Vienna, and Springfield.
When you’re ready for new windows, call our team at NOVA Exteriors today in Northern VA at (703) 322-1500!
When it comes to replacing windows in your home, the array of options and features can be overwhelming. However, selecting the right windows is crucial for enhancing your home's energy...
When it comes to choosing the right materials for your windows, there are various components to consider. Different materials come with their own set of advantages and disadvantages, and...
Replacing windows is a task that requires careful planning and execution. While it may seem easy, there are several common mistakes homeowners often make that can lead to costly repairs or...